Saturday, May 1, 2010

Memory Verse for May 2-6 - Philippians 2:3

(Comments on this week’s memory verses)

Philippians 2:3 - Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

Motives are important. Good things often result from good motives. Bad things often result from bad motives.

When we, as Christians, are having difficulty getting along with others, we need to check our motives. One motive we need to beware of is strife, or “selfish ambition”. If my motive for wanting my way in a disagreement is selfishness, I’m wrong. I must avoid trying to accomplish my own agenda.

Another motive of which to be wary is vainglory or “conceit”. When I am conceited, I will always consider myself to be right. When I am conceited my attitude is often, “It’s my way or the highway!”

In dealing with others, wrong motives need to be changed into positive attitudes. We are to practice lowliness of mind or humility. If we take a honest look at our condition before salvation, we should have no trouble being humble. If we honestly consider our sinful tendencies now, we should have no trouble being humble.

Finally, in humility we should esteem others more important than ourselves. For Christ’s sake we should consider the other person’s needs more important than ourselves. We are not to consent to sinful practices, but we should be ready to yield to another when we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment