Saturday, May 29, 2010

Memory Verse for May 30 - June 5 - Philippians 2:7

Comments on this week’s memory verse

Philippians 2:7 - But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

I believe in slavery! However, before you call your favorite civil rights group to censure me, read what I have to say.

I do not believe in the type of slavery that led to the Civil War. I believe in the equality of all men and women.

Philippians 2:5 tells us that we are to have the same mind or attitude as our Lord Jesus Christ. Philippians 2:7 tells us that Jesus made himself of no reputation. That means “he emptied himself”. Jesus as God the Son in Heaven emptied himself of many of the rights He had in Heaven in order to come to earth.

This verse further says that Jesus “took upon him the form of a servant”. The word here refers to a slave. Jesus came to earth “in the likeness of men” in total submission to God the Father, laying the privileges of deity aside. He came to serve by teaching, healing, and ultimately dying for the sins of the world.

As a Christian my attitude should be that of a slave to his master. As Jesus lived as a slave here on earth, I am to live as His slave now. When I do this, I show my love and appreciation for the forgiveness and eternal life which He has provided. It is something that I should be willing to do for Him.

Yes, I believe in slavery. I believe in loving, willing, unselfish slavery to the one who has given me eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment